Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin
Berlin – German
Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin (“German Museum of Technology”) was founded in 1982 in Berlin, Germany, first opened in 1983 under the name Museum of Transport and Technology, which it carried until 1996. The museum sees itself as the successor of the over 100 technical collections that have occurred in recent centuries in Berlin, last of the collection for a transport museum in the German Democratic Republic (the Hamburger Bahnhof), has over 25,000 m² and offers a large exhibition space at the site of a Eisfabrikation and pickup of goods and postal station and is visited by 600 000 people annually. focuses mainly of the waterways and rail traffic in / around Berlin and in Germany, beer, jewelry manufacturing and energy production.
The air and space exhibition documents the development on these areas during the 20th Century. Among the numerous exhibits are the only remaining steel-Jeannin Taube, built in 1914, from the beginnings of military aviation. The central object of this exhibition is the commercial aircraft Junkers Ju 52, better known as Aunt Ju. Rare memorabilia, a flight captain of Deutsche Lufthansa and a well-known sport pilot flying light up their everyday lives. The two-seat aerobatic training aircraft travel and Arado Ar 79 shows the state of development of civil aircraft at the aircraft factory Arado before the Second World War. The exhibition area to the Second World War focuses on the rise and fall of the Luftwaffe, and shows how the Nazis abused the fascination of flying for their own purposes. The wreckage of a Junkers Ju 87 Stuka bomber can imagine the destructive potential of the aircraft as a weapon. The media station shows man and war on the basis of six biographies of the lives of former Air Force member. Since March 2008, is a VFW-614 as an example of a German aircraft development after the Second World War in the possession of the art museum.
An exhibition unit for aircraft technology illustrates the development and functioning of individual components such as engines, landing gear or propellers. A glass plane and a partially open Arado Ar 96 from the year 1943, provides an insight into the complex technology of an aircraft.
At the center of the space division of the German contribution is the development of missile technology. The presentation begins with the fantasies and experiments of the early enthusiasts and ends with the collection of this technology for the military plans of the Nazis. Drawings of eyewitnesses to document the inhumane working conditions of concentration camp prisoners who were used in the production of missiles in Dora central.
Holger Steinle is since 1985 head of aviation and space department.
The maritime history in the last 10,000 years is documented with about 1,500 exhibits. While the ground floor presents the inland waterway with several large buildings like the Brandenburg tug Kurt Heinz of 1901 or the 33-meter-long coffee barge of 1840, the second floor of the international deep sea shipping is shown. In the gallery floor, the pleasure craft, model making and scientific experiments are issued, conducted by the German Technology Museum Berlin, an interdisciplinary research project in collaboration with the Institute of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering and the Laboratory of Hydraulics and shipbuilding at the Technical University of Berlin.
The railway department of the museum has been expanded 1987/1988 as the first field in the final state, and largely in place. Location of the railway department is located on the museum grounds historical site of the former roundhouse depot pickup station by 1874, which featured 33 tracks on a total of 40 rail cars in the original. Moreover a plethora of models and small objects. Some of the exhibits were kept in dilapidated condition, to clarify the signs of use and wear.
The exhibition is organized chronologically into 33 stations of the railway history (the two engine sheds have a total of 33 tracks). Historically significant years following figures show the results from the beginnings of the railroad to this day. The first roundhouse contains these stations from 1800 to 1914, the second engine shed, the stations shows from 1918 to 1980.
The H0-model of the pickup station and the railway station (in background). The depot is located right behind the buildings (the site of the model).
The permanent exhibition “Jewish deportations” of the German state railway 1941-1945 presented since 1988  twelve Berlin fates .
In the historic roundhouse is also a model railway, the railway tracks and the building shows the pickup passenger station, freight station and the train depot and some surrounding buildings in the state by 1938 in the exact scale of 1:87. It is interesting especially the comparison between the model and the current state of the original.
A section of track in the first three roundhouse reminded that broke the ground for thirty years was. Here grow the otherwise usual in the Mediterranean stone Vistula and a native of Siberia knotweed has been as widespread as the two medicinal herbs evening primrose and lady’s mantle.
Roads and local transport
The exhibitions in the field of road traffic to show the history of the automobile through excellence in design and large, now often forgotten automobile companies, their designs as a tricycle, small cars, power lines, electrical or amphibious vehicles often ended in “brilliant dead ends”.
Although the department includes road one of the most extensive collections of the German Technology Museum, could the majority of all exhibits to the public in the absence of suitable exhibition space so far shown only infrequently. A representative part of the collection of nearly 70 cars, motorcycles, carriages and a hearse from two centuries can be seen in a depot in the former goods yard pickup. Numerous cars and motorcycles are, moreover, on permanent loan in foreign partner museums.
The collection of the Department of Road Transport include 20 horse-drawn sleigh, and some 400 bicycles (from Drais’schen wheel until folding bike), about 200 motorcycles (including a Zündapp collection) as well as nearly 200 cars (from the De Dion steam car, Year . 1883, until the NSU Ro 80 with a rotary engine, made in 1972). On permanent loan a collection Solex carburetor into the care of the museum.
The DTMB intends to create an additional exhibition on local traffic. The museum already owns, a variety of exhibits such as historic streetcars, trolley buses, buses and other vehicles for which the space in the current premises but also not sufficient.
The exhibits are not currently in a depot (former speed railcars hall of the German National Railroad) stored away from anything the museum grounds. The depot is available annually in the September Sundays to the open door to the public.
Computing and automation technology, communication technology
The life work of Konrad Zuse’s theme of an exhibition of the Museum of Computing and Information Technology. See almost all computers are built by him – from Z1 to Z31 with the diversity of its ancillary equipment and applications – to be read in conjunction with the company and family history as well as the original book with the programming schedule calculation. It also shows the other side of the technician: his abstract and expressive paintings.
The exhibition on the history of communications technology are topics with a cross-section of the collection area. It shows among other things, the beginnings of German radio in Berlin, a replica of the first in 1931 by Manfred von Ardenne electronic television system in the world and the only functional black and white TV studio in the world presented in 1958.
In the entrance hall of the museum is an old steam engine which drives a large ensemble of machine tools. It represents the beginning of an independent energy technology. The progressive division of labor industry show more items of this department. However, this tendency is most clearly in electrical engineering, whose beginnings are initially displayed on two tracks at the Sheds 1a, to an extensive exhibition later in the main building at Möckernstraße is possible. Heat – – In the current presentation of some aspects of the tension force will flow under historical and didactic points shown, nor discussed alternatives to the present generation are included. The application of electric current in the form of light power is demonstrated by the example of the arc lamp technology. Another issue is the shaping of arc lamps to the Great savings arc lamp of AEG, a significant example of industrial design of Peter Behrens.
From this area a door leads into the open area of the museum, on the two historic windmills – to demonstrate the pre-industrial energy conversion – a Dutchman and a windmill. Despite its sophisticated mechanics, they form a contrast to industrial machine technology: the natural wind power construction and the craftsmanship characterize the design. As a modern counterpart to a solar system with the help of sunlight is a water feature in motion.
History of film technology
This area of the museum presents the history of film technology from the Laterna Magica to the modern film projector, from the medieval through the proscenium of the 19 optical illusions Century, such as the zoetrope, the activity or the rather quick to cinema and video film of the 1980s.
Among the several hundred objects, the bull’s eye are from 1750, peep shows and Dark Chambers, Kine-Messter cameras and a tank cinema from the early days of the German film industry, professional recording cameras from all ages, amateur recording equipment from 1898 to modern video cameras, a film set diorama with original equipment and an editing room. Many devices from the pre-and cinema history and functioning replicas of early film pioneers to try out the visitors themselves. Historical film clips as a copy of an original Edison film about the execution of Mary Stuart, films about Berlin’s pioneers Max and Oskar Skladanowsky Messter and early amateur films can be viewed.
The museum parking lot on the grounds of the former depot of the pickup station houses a unique diversity of plants in Berlin.
In connection with the construction already completed and those still to be ensure landscape conservation support measures for the protection of existing habitats of plants and animals for the sustainable use of railway sites as grounds for linking the museum and the museum with a planned neighborhood park.
In this section are examples of manual and industrial production techniques from the 19th and 20 Century showed. This production is one case as an example for the production of an everyday product in the 1920s.
In the exhibition for manufaktur ellen jewelry production, production techniques such as stamping presses, laser cutting, stamping, rolling, casting, grinding, polishing, guilloching-engraving, the chain of production and craft techniques presented the goldsmith profession which are pieces of jewelry like bracelets, rings, brooches, Earrings , cuff links, napkin rings and many more were produced. There are screenings of historic machines, such as a drop hammer for embossing, the centrifugal casting machine for casting of different jewelry pieces and the guilloche smooth surfaces to decorate with geometric patterns.
In the entrance hall is a historical workshop is typical transmission driven machine tools from the field of metal processing, in the course of technical and industrial development in the 19 Century and were the standard in smaller companies until the 1970s were used.
This story is only a small part of German Museum of Technology,
still appreciate the history, because without the past will not exist today…..